Pages

Friday 6 August 2010

Art and Counselling (part 1)

As I've already mentioned I'm seeing a counsellor at the moment to help with depression and also the wider aspects of my MS.

She'd been really interested in the crafting / artwork I do and she's asked me to take pieces along to the sessions.  During one session while I was feeling particularly irritated at life in general, but couldn't put my finger on what it was, she suggested I do a journal page around the feelings I had.  I went one better and did a canvas.

This is my 'Irritation Canvas'.  I really enjoyed making it and it really helped me get my frustrations and irritation out!

I started with a 30cm x 40cm canvas and painted it with and Ikea wax paint which is meant to be used on wood.  Then I scraped some it off with a spatula.


I used a Paint Dabber in citrus through some sequin waste (which took a lot of frustration out when I started hammering the dabber down on the canvas LOL!!!!).  Next I ripped a piece out of a magazine (the black piece to the left) which sort of felt like what was happening in my head and stuck it on with Golden gel medium.  I then went through my many pieces cut from magazines to find some words and I also found the cartoon image of the man tied up with string (bottom right).

The lines were created by accident.  I wanted to put some yellow on the canvas, but the paint dabber wouldn't dab, no matter how hard I hit it so I stirred it with a bamboo skewer.  In true crafting style I couldn't just waste the paint on the skewer so I dragged across the canvas and did the same with a Cranberry dabber and a skewer.

The canvas sits in my living room and is helping me to relax whenever I feel irritated!

4 comments:

Phree said...

Good to here your crafting is helping, not sure I am comfortable looking at your canvas, but then I don't think "comfort" is what is supposed to be about! Thanks for sharing this.

Janet said...

I sure can tell you were irritated! Keep it up - this is good!

Janet xx

erasercarver said...

Ah, I'm sure I caught a glimpse of this canvas yesterday evening! I'm loving the way the paint on the skewers came out, sure gets over your feelings of frustration. Fantastic piece.

Jo said...

What an incredible piece of self expression. It really says it all about the way you were feeling. And it got it all out of your system too. Winner!